THE NEUTRAL ZONE
The Trump Administration announced Monday the U.S. will continue restrictions on Chinese telecom giant Huawei, including efforts to reduce Huawei’s access to commercially available smartphone chips. The new ordinance will also add 38 Huawei affiliated companies to the U.S. blacklist, bringing the number of companies on that list to 152. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stated via Twitter that the U.S. “dealt a direct blow to Huawei and the repressive Chinese Communist Party by further limiting Huawei’s ability to acquire U.S. technology and compromise the integrity of the world’s networks and Americans’ private information.”
The new measure will block non-U.S. companies from selling chips containing U.S. technology to Huawei in an effort to stifle Huawei’s ability to work around previously levied sanctions. In a Monday interview on Fox & Friends, President Donald Trump stated, “They know everything—they knew everything we were doing. Huawei is a way of—is really—I call it the spyway.”
Chinese Government-affiliated outlet Global Times reported that Chinese analysts are calling this the “final card,” adding that the measure warrants “concrete retaliation from China.” The report also cites a Chinese government source who says that Beijing is ready to launch attacks of its own against U.S. firms such as Apple, Qualcomm, and Boeing. Huawei Executive Meng Wanzhou will attend hearings virtually in a Canadian court. Arrested on a U.S. warrant in 2018 over alleged bank fraud, Meng will reportedly ask the Canadian attorney general for the release of more confidential documents surrounding her arrest. Meng’s lawyers allege that U.S and Canadian authorities improperly shared details about her electronic devices, which the Royal Canadian Mounted Police denies.
U.S. tightens restrictions on Huawei access to technology and chips – CNBC – 8/17/2020
The U.S. Commerce Department actions, first reported by Reuters, will expand restrictions announced in May aimed at preventing the Chinese telecommunications giant from obtaining semiconductors without a special license – including chips made by foreign firms that have been developed or produced with U.S. software or technology.
The US is making it even harder for Huawei phones to get Android updates – The Verge – 8/17/2020
Huawei said earlier this month that it’s running out of processor chips because of the US sanctions, and as of September, the company will no longer be able to make its own Kirin chipsets due to the ongoing economic pressure. The administration said it is adding 38 Huawei affiliates in 21 countries to its blacklist, bringing the total to 152 affiliates.
Trump administration cracks down further against Huawei chip production, affiliate groups – The Hill – 8/17/2020
“They used to have free reign over our country,” Trump said. “They knew everything we were doing. Huawei is really, I call it the ‘Spy-wei.’ What happens is Huawei comes out and they spy on our country. This is very intricate stuff. You have microchips, you have things that you can’t even see. They spy.”
It might be the end of Android updates for Huawei phones with Google services – Android Authority – 8/17/2020
Not all Huawei phones should get affected by this latest development. Only those devices that still have Google Mobile Services (GMS) are in the line of fire. These phones, including last year’s Huawei P30 flagships, could stop getting Android OS or security updates going forward. Google apps will also not get updated on these older handsets if the temporary license remains suspended.