FILE PHOTO: Workers walk by the perimeter fence of what is officially known as a vocational skills education centre in Dabancheng in Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region, China September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo

THE NEUTRAL ZONE

The International Criminal Court will not pursue any action from China’s mass detention of Uighur Muslims, prosecutors in The Hague said on Monday.

The complaint was filed in July against China by two Uighur exile groups, the East Turkistan Government in Exile and the East Turkistan National Awakening Movement. It asked the court to investigate Chinese officials, including President Xi Jinping.

The court said it doesn’t have jurisdiction since the reported crimes took place in China by Chinese nationals. In addition, China did not sign the Rome Statute, a treaty that created the International Criminal Court. Prosecutors said an investigation could be opened if they received more evidence. The East Turkistan Government in Exile said it will submit additional evidence regarding the rounding up and deportation of Uighurs.

“The I.C.C. was formed for one and only one reason: to confront the most horrific international crimes,” said Fatimah Abdulghafur, a Uighur poet and activist living in Australia. “The atrocities of the Chinese regime toward Uighurs are countless.”

This development comes alongside additional revelations regarding labor camps in the Xinjiang region of China. The area produces more than 20% of the world’s cotton and 84% of China’s, but a Center for Global Policy report said it was “tainted” by human rights abuses. This year, the U.S. imposed sanctions and cotton import restrictions on suppliers controlled by the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.

MEDIA PERSPECTIVE

This section includes an aggregation of articles showing different viewpoints on the topic.

Senior Huawei Executive Resigns Over Muslim-Tracking Technology – Vice – 12/16/2020
The head of communications for Huawei in Denmark has resigned over the Chinese company’s role in testing surveillance tools capable of tracking China’s Muslims. Tommy Zwicky, vice president of communications at Huawei Denmark, confirmed to VICE World News on Wednesday that he “left because of how the Uighur case was handled.”

International Criminal Court Won’t Probe China’s Alleged Genocide of Uyghur Muslims – National Review – 12/16/2020
Rodney Dixon, the lead barrister in the case, promised that his team will be presenting “highly relevant evidence” that they hope will lead to an investigation. “This is a very important moment. The millions of Uyghur victims who are suffering terrible atrocities at the hand of the Chinese government officials need justice and we are hopeful that the ICC will take up this investigation,” Dixon said.

Uighur repression ‘turbocharged by technology,’ confidential documents show – International Consortium of Investigative Journalists – 12/14/2020
The researchers found that the program flagged people as suspicious for practicing Islam, using peer-to-peer file sharing applications such as Zapya, travelling or being young, that is, “born after the 1980s.” Such findings seem to match the Chinese surveillance and mass internment program revealed in classified government documents obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists last year.

Uighur exploitation in China slammed as ‘modern day slavery’ – Deutsche Welle – 12/15/2020
An estimated 570,000 workers from three Uighur regions were mobilized to cotton picking operations in 2018, the report found, citing online government documents. The transfers took place under the Chinese government’s “coercive” labor training scheme that involves “military-style management.” “It is impossible to define where coercion ends and where local consent may begin,” wrote Adrian Zenz, the researcher who found the documents.

INFLUENCER PERSPECTIVE

This section includes an aggregation of tweets showing different viewpoints on the topic.

There's depth. And then there's in-depth.

To get beyond the news and receive actionable intelligence about this topic or thousands more, simply enter your email address below.

You May Also Like

U.S. Capitol Complex declared “secure” after unprecedented siege

6 p.m. citywide curfew in effect, National Guard deployed to restore peace

White House declined Pfizer offer for an additional 100 million coronavirus vaccine doses

The administration said they declined because of deals with six other companies

Trump takes shelter in Camp David while lawmakers call for an early end to his presidency

Trump loses his social media accounts, may face criminal charges in addition to removal