WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- More people have died from COVID-19 already this year than in all of 2020, highlighting how the pandemic continues to impact the world even as vaccines keep the virus at bay in wealthy nations. The three-day meeting of the Group of Seven will open Friday for the first time in nearly two years, where leaders are expected to pledge a commitment to share 1 billion of their COVID-19 vaccine resources with lower-income countries.
- With inflation heating up across the economy as the pandemic wanes, some of the increases, like airfares and restaurants, reflect a return to normal after prices collapsed last year. Car and truck prices, exacerbated by shortages, are unlikely to lead to persistent increases. Fed officials described the current period as transitory and expect several months of elevated price increases due to pent-up demand. Despite rising inflation levels, stock futures were slightly higher Friday.
- India’s daily reported death toll from the coronavirus reached a record high, with more than 6,000 COVID-19-related deaths recorded over a 24-hour period. The fatalities rose after one of India’s poorest states, Bihar, revised its total death toll Wednesday to account for people who died at home or in private hospitals.
- Museums across the country are beginning to reopen, and some have seen record attendance after more than a year of coronavirus restriction. Some of Chicago’s largest museums will stay open late Friday to celebrate the city reopening with no capacity limits. Chicago will be one of the largest cities in the U.S. to fully reopen.
- As people emerge from the pandemic, apps, private clubs and social networks are prepared to help connect potential friends. Couples who found each other during the pandemic are also beginning to navigate uncharted territory as they experience dating in a “normal” world.
- How to Prep Your Relationship for Post-Pandemic Life – The New York Times
- Hot Vax Summer heats up businesses – The Washington Post
- Dating apps are taking off as daters embrace the ‘hot girl summer’ – Fortune
Turbine Labs has tracked 100,295 media articles and blogs over the last 24 hours and 121,097 social media posts over the last 24 hours.