WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- California lifted most of its coronavirus restrictions on Tuesday as part of its “grand reopening” that removes all capacity limits and physical distancing restrictions in the state. Gov. Gavin Newsom said the state has administered over 40 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine, 16 million more than any other state.
- Disneyland ending mask requirements tomorrow as it fully reopens to all – CNET
- Need Help Remembering Life Before Covid? Head to Vermont – Wall Street Journal
- @GovPhilScott : Vermont has been a leader throughout this pandemic, and today, we’re the first state to vaccinate 80% of its eligible population. Effective immediately, I’m lifting all remaining COVID restrictions. Our work continues, but Vermonters can be proud of what they’ve done.
- The Delta virus variant, first detected in India, has now been identified in 74 countries. Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the U.K. will delay its reopening by four weeks due to the Delta variant, which accounts for more than 90% of new cases. In the U.S., health officials say cases of the variant are doubling roughly every two weeks.
- Delta variant doubles risk of COVID hospitalisation – Scottish study – Reuters
- England’s delayed reopening is a blow to culture and nightlife. – The New York Times
- Gottlieb says Delta virus variant likely to become dominant U.S. strain – CBS News
- @Independent : More than 40,000 people could die this summer as the Delta variant of coronavirus sweeps through the UK, even after Boris Johnson’s decision to delay the lifting of lockdown restrictions by four weeks to 19 July, scientists have warned.
- A virus outbreak in southern China threatens to drive up costs and worsen supply chain disruptions. Soaring demand, a shortage of containers, overwhelmed ports and a shortage of workers have already contributed to rising prices that experts say will soon reach consumers’ pocketbooks.
- AstraZeneca’s antibody treatment for COVID-19 failed to provide evidence that it protects people who came into contact with an infected person. The results were a small setback in finding an alternative for coronavirus vaccines, although other tests are underway that examine whether the treatment is effective for other groups.
- This July 4, the White House will expand on the meaning of independence with a celebration to mark America’s freedom from the pandemic. The Biden administration announced its largest event yet to mark the milestone, although the U.S. is not expected to quite reach its goal of having 70% of adults vaccinated by the holiday.
- @AnaCabrera : 14 states have reached Biden administration’s goal to vaccinate 70% of adults against Covid-19 w/ at least one shot by July 4th, CDC data shows— California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, NH, NJ, NM, NY, Pennsylvania, RI, Vermont, Washington (+ DC)
Turbine Labs has tracked 95,129 media articles and blogs over the last 24 hours and 96,953 social media posts over the last 24 hours.