WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The S&P 500 is on track to close out its best week since April as stock futures edged higher Friday, highlighting renewed confidence in global economic recovery. The Centers for Disease Control announced its final extension of the agency’s pandemic ban on evictions through the end of July.
- Consumers Are Back Out Spending, Driving the Recovery – The Wall Street Journal
- U.S. Unemployment Rescue Left at Least 9 Million Without Help – Bloomberg
- Americans most likely to be evicted are the least likely to be vaccinated – CBS News
- A new study found that life expectancy in the U.S. dropped by nearly two years from 2018 to 2020 due primarily to the pandemic, the largest drop since World War II. The decline was especially sharp among Black and Hispanic Americans, two communities severely impacted by the virus. Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who have not been vaccinated, highlighting the effectiveness of the shots against the disease.
- US life expectancy sees ‘massive’ decline, especially in Black and brown communities – PBS NewsHour
- Shuttered hospitals, soaring Covid-19 deaths: Rural Black communities lose a lifeline in the century’s worst health crisis – STAT
- @LizSzabo: Other countries handled covid better than we did. Average loss of life expectancy in the U.S. during pandemic was nearly 9x greater than in 16 other developed nations, whose residents can now expect to live 4.7 years longer than Americans.
- Frontier Airlines revoked its “COVID recovery charge” a day after the charge received widespread publicity. The fee was intended to give transparency into what portion of the airfare was used towards business recovery, including repayment to the company’s CARES Act loan. Frontier reversed the charge after just one month to avoid “misinterpretation.”
- The Dos and Don’ts of Hot Vax Summer – The Atlantic
- One-third of Americans plan to go away this summer – CBS News
- @craigcalcaterra: Yesterday I went to my first ballgame since before the pandemic. Today I am flying for the first time since before the pandemic. I preferred the ballgame.
- The prevalence of coronavirus infections in the UK rose last week with 122,500 total UK residents infected. The country reported more than 35,000 new cases of the Delta variant in the same week. The variant now comprises 96% of cases in the UK.
- The UK’s Covid vaccine program and delta surge means it’s now a test case for the world – CNBC
- There are at least 200 known cases of the Delta Plus coronavirus variant worldwide. Here’s what we know – CNN
- @EricTopol: Although the Delta variant cases are still rising in the UK, the rate of rise is less and that’s good news. No doubt their 83% 1st dose, 61% fully vaccinated rates for adults are making a difference
- Pride returned to Tel Aviv, Israel, as tens of thousands convened at one of the largest gatherings held since the beginning of the pandemic. Israel renewed its indoor mask mandate amid a slight rise in cases just hours before the parade began.
- Pride 2021 taking place amid heightened security, COVID – Israel Hayom
- Police thwart multiple terrorist attacks on Tel Aviv Pride parade – Jerusalem Post
Turbine Labs has tracked 88,879 media articles and blogs over the last 24 hours and 210,263 social media posts over the last 24 hours.