WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The economies of U.S. tourist destinations such as Las Vegas are bouncing back , but the rise of the Delta variant in Nevada and at least four other states has public health officials pleading with the public to get vaccinated. Israel is reporting a rise in infections, even among those protected with the Pfizer vaccine, as the highly transmissible variant spreads across the country.
- New Mexico will begin offering cash payments to people who return to the workforce this summer in an effort to shore up the labor shortage sweeping the country. In Connecticut, residents claiming unemployment must now report their work searches to the state’s labor department or face a denial of benefits.
- Businesses banking on a summer boom face foreign worker shortage – Politico
- Skilled labor shortage is triggering wage gains – Quartz
- How small business is claiming billions in cash refunds from IRS – CNBC
- @MaryKayHenry : “There is a shortage of workers who want to work at what you’re offering.” #FightFor15 #UnionsForAll
- Up to 1,500 businesses were affected by a “colossal” ransomware attack that appears to be affiliated with a major Russian-speaking ransomware syndicate. Cybercriminals targeted a software supplier called Kaseya, paralyzing company networks as conversations continue about cybersecurity in remote work.
- Elastic Clarifies How Cloud ‘Cleaned-Up’ The Work From Home Directive – Forbes
- Work at Home or the Office? Either Way, There’s a Start-Up for That. – The New York Times
- Amazon begins new chapter as Bezos hands over CEO role – Associated Press
- The divide between Wall Street companies that will allow remote work and those requiring employees to return to the office continues to grow , underscoring debates about company culture and its importance in the modern workplace. Credit Suisse announced a “maximum flexibility” remote work model, a move that some say will offer the company a recruiting edge.
- At Sweetgreen, Seeing the Future of Work in a Desk Salad – The New York Times
- New Qualcomm CEO on the future of work and his company – Axios
- @AdamMGrant : The future of work is hybrid. 32% never want to go back (esp women w/young kids) 21% never want to be remote (esp singles, empty nesters) To prevent disparities and promote collaboration, where possible, have teams coordinate days onsite vs. remote.
- The self-storage market is booming , thanks to more people who are moving, those who chose to free up space in their homes for remote work, and those who are using it as a transition tool as they navigate an unprecedented housing market that continues to drive up home prices.
- How did the housing market turn white-hot? It wasn’t just the pandemic. – NBC News
- Vacation home sales soared during pandemic, report finds – Washington Post
- @latimes : The shortage in the housing supply has caused a “crisis” for many of Boeger’s friends who can’t afford to wade into the housing market, she said. “I’m in that boat,” said Boeger, who lives in an 800-square-foot apartment with her son and daughter.
Turbine Labs has tracked 16,074 media articles and blogs and 19,107 social media posts over the last 24 hours.